Sep 18, 2011

Ability Level and Scientific Knowledge

Is a student's ability to perform core academic skills, such as reading, necessary to assessing their knowledge of science? How can I accurately rate a students success on my tests if they cannot read the questions? These are important questions to think about as a teacher. Of course reading is a skill that is essential to education. However, I must also recognize that not every student will learn at the same pace or have the same opportunities as others. If a student is behind in their reading skills for what ever reason, is it fair that they should also fall behind in science because of their limitations? I don't think it is. If language barriers are any indication, the ability to communicate does not indicate a level of intelligence or comprehension. I am always frustrated by people who view English Language Learners as simple minded because they cannot communicate their knowledge in a way we are used to. I think this could also apply to students who struggle reading written word. If I test a student on concepts covered in class but they lack the knowledge to comprehend the questions on the assessment, it does not mean that they did not learn the science content I taught. When I assess in only this format, I am doing nothing for this student except reminding them of their weakness in reading. I am not assessing their science knowledge, and I cannot use this data to evaluate their progress in my class. It is more important to know whether or not they can comprehend, explain, and utilize the science knowledge than to know if they can pass a test. To avoid this situation, I must try to understand and work within student limitations when testing. Assistive technology and Individualized Education Plans can mean a world of difference for students who are overcoming reading challenges. Besides the obvious read-aloud tests with a special education teacher, I can use technology to provide alternative assessments that do not rely on reading the way paper and pencil tests so often do. For example, an online or computer assessment could provide a read-aloud option for students with low reading levels or a dictionary to help students understand any unfamiliar words. In fact, I often take advantage of the dictionary option on my Nook e-reader if I come across a new word. Simply highlighting and clicking to give a definition is quick and simple. It would provide a standardized way of restating the question for each student so I wouldn't have to do this on an individual basis, and it could save the child any hesitation or uncertainty that might cause them to second guess their answer. I can also use assistive technology to completely remove my assessments from the format of traditional tests. Having the students create videos or animations to illustrate concept knowledge can not only get around the reading issue all together, but it can also provide an additional advantage by giving even more confirmed demonstrations of knowledge away from multiple choice formats. No guessing here! Technology has the potential to give me more adequate feedback on student knowledge and to give my students of lower reading levels the confidence boost they need to see that they can be successful in school. By demonstrating their science knowledge and receiving positive feedback, they will begin to trust themselves and could ultimately do better in all subjects- not just science.

No comments:

Post a Comment