Dec 3, 2011

Virtual Labs

http://phet.colorado.edu

When school budgets are tight, virtual labs are a great way to work in student practice of concepts without spending any money. The above website is my absolute favorite virtual simulation site for Physics and physical science. This website is full of awesome simulations for any level of science since they have biology and chemistry sims too. However, I don't know much about the bio/chem labs since I only just found this while teaching physics. I use it for conservation of energy, waves, light phenomena, and nuclear physics just to name a few. I did also use it to demo stoichiometry to a tutoring student a few weeks ago. You search for the topic and a list of simulations will show up. You click on the one you like, and it will take you to the simulation. There you can download or run the sim and if you scroll to the bottom of the screen there is a list of lesson plan ideas made and shared by other teachers that you can use or adapt to your liking. It's also available for all ages. I've used it in a senior level physics class and an 8th grade physical science class.

No comments:

Post a Comment